Sunday, October 17, 2010

Saint André Bessette

I recall older relations telling me, when I was a small boy, about how when members of my family would always visit Frère André when they visited Montréal. Much has changed in that city since that time, no doubt, but the magnificent shrine built by this small, humble porter in honour of St. Joseph still stands on the mountain, along with the cross, brilliantly illumined at night, to remind us of the glorious heritage and, we can hope, destiny of the city of Montréal and the province of Québec. Like my kinsmen of old, I too make it a point to visit the Oratoire Saint-Joseph whenever I am in Montréal.

Today Frère André is raised to the honours of the altar by our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, along with several others, including Mother Mary MacKillop, the first saint from Down Under. May their intercession gain us the graces and favours we need in this world.

O Dieu qui est admirable dans tes saints,
Nous te demandons de nous accorder
Par l'intercession du Frère André, l'apôtre de saint Joseph,
la faveur que nous sollicitons... Afin qu'il soit glorifié dans l'Église
Et que nous soyons portés à imiter ses vertus.
Par le Christ, notre Seigneur.

Amen.

Brother André Marie of the Saint Benedict Center speaks more about St. André here.

Vive le Québec catholique.

No comments:

Post a Comment