Sunday, June 20, 2010

Royal Wedding in Sweden


Et Lux in Tenebris Lucet is proud to offer the most heartfelt congratulations to TRH Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden and Daniel, Duke of Västergötland on the occasion of their wedding yesterday.

Video of the ceremony may be viewed here. (Thanks to Elena Maria Vidal at Tea at Trianon for the link.)

On a more personal note, HM Carl XVI Gustaf is the royal to whom I have been the nearest in my life, and by pure coincidence. In Québec City in autumn 2006, while exploring the Old City, a motorcade passed down the street along which I was walking. Noting the Swedish flags, I initially thought it was the prime minister or foreign minister on a diplomatic visit. However, coming across a newspaper in a pub soon thereafter, I soon realized that I had just been passed by the King of Sweden.

In addition to my closest royal encounter, Sweden has also given me my car (a lovely black Saab named Ingrid), my favourite film director (Ingmar Bergman), and perhaps, by way of Normandy, my blue eyes.

Lange leve Sverige.



I add as a footnote that an unfortunate power outage has destroyed most of my new essays that I had been hoping to start publishing yesterday. Please bear with me as I attempt to reconstruct them this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment