Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Voyages of Jacques Cartier

It is reported that I am a direct descendant of Jacques Cartier, the Breton navigator who was (excepting perhaps St. Brendan) the first European to sail the St. Lawrence, while under a commission from King François I. Believing the St. Lawrence to be the Northwest Passage, he claimed the lands about it for the King of France. These lands were the root of what we now call Québec. I think it a most appropriate day to recall my noble ancestor, so important to the history of these two lands under the patronage of St. Anne, and all my forbears to have resided in these great North Atlantic lands. Cartier's voyages can be read about here.

I should note that, now that I have a readership (for which I am quite appreciative to you all), I will be celebrating one month in business here by posting more about my ancestry and heritage, and revealing some about the man behind the blog.

Vive le Québec!
Breizh Atao!

2 comments:

  1. That's very special that you are descended from him! Congratulations on your one-month and I am looking forward to the posts to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Matterhorn. Thinking about Cartier and of the works of my ancestors on both sides of the pond, as well as those of my neighbours in New England and northeastern North America generally, our cultures, customs, folkways, faith, etc., always makes me realize that it's a very small pond indeed.

    ReplyDelete